QuickBooks unable to open company file? A Tested Guide to Fix it
QuickBooks is flooded with technical glitches, some related to the company file, installation issues, and hosting. This blog discusses the ‘QuickBooks unable to open company file’ error that strikes when a user tries to access a QuickBooks company file. The error comes up with a warning message, “The file you specified cannot be opened.” The different reasons behind the error are – opening an incorrect company file, outdated QuickBooks version, incorrect file extension, and many others. Follow the blog until the end to gain detailed information on QuickBooks company file in use error.
Searching for a permanent solution to fix the ‘QuickBooks unable to open company file’ error? We are here to help you. Simply dial +1 800-579-9430 and have words with the QuickBooks technical support team
What are the major triggers of QuickBooks Enterprise company file in use error?
Go through the list of some most prominent reasons behind the company file error:
1. The QuickBooks company file name exceeds the limit of characters.
2. The user is not opening the correct company file.
3. QuickBooks company file is not saved to the correct folder.
Now that you are well versed with the root causes of this company file issue, jump to the next section and implement the solutions to fix the error permanently.
Read more :- QuickBooks error 404
Effective Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Company File in Use Unknown User
Method 1. Check what’s causing issue in the company file
1. Click the Windows Start menu and write File Explorer in the Windows search field.
2. Open File Explorer, locate the QuickBooks.exe file in the folder and double-click it while holding the CTRL key on your keyboard.
3. Keep holding the key until QuickBooks Desktop opens.
4. Now, open QuickBooks and open the company file.
Method 2. Stop the save when closing the feature of QuickBooks
1. Open the QuickBooks Desktop application, go to the No Company Open window and choose your company file from the list.
2. Tap and hold the Alt key on your keyboard, choose Open and when the company file opens, disable the save when closing feature.
3. To turn it off: click the Edit menu and choose Preferences.
4. Go to the Desktop View tab, select the Don’t save the desktop option and click OK.
5. Reopen the QuickBooks Desktop application and then try to open the company file.
Read more :- QuickBooks error 6175
Method 3. Relocate QuickBooks company file
1. Click the Windows icon to open the Start menu and open File Explorer in the Windows search field.
2. In File Explorer, look for the folder containing company files and then search the company file with the .qbw extension.
3. Right-click the company file, choose Copy and move to the desktop.
4. Right-click anywhere on the desktop, and select the Paste option to paste the file there.
5. Right-click the pasted file, select the Rename option and change the name of file by adding the word TEST.
6. Open QuickBooks Desktop, choose the File menu and click the Open or restore company option.
7. Now, open the company file you copied. If can open the pasted company file without any issue, it means the problem is with the location.
We are now ending our blog, hoping that the solutions we discussed will help you deal with QuickBooks unable to open company file error. If you face any difficulty, connect with the QuickBooks technical support team for help by dialing +1 800-579-9430.