Best time to visit Laka Glacier Trek
It’s the Laka Glacier Trek is among the most easy Himalayan treks. It is located at the foot of the Kangra Valley, it is situated in the Laka Glacier encircled by the Dhauladhar ranges. It is a renowned trek that is best enjoyed on weekends because it takes two days. The hike is short , but it’s also very difficult. The trek is located near Mcgleodganj and it is likely that it’ll be packed since there are a lot of tourists who visit Mcleodganj. It is possible to hear lots of various birds sing on the hike. If you’re an avid birder, this could be a great opportunity to find the birds.
When is the best time to go?
The ideal time to this hike is between March to June. There are chances to observe snow that may be left over from the pre-monsoon and winter season. It isn’t recommended to travel during monsoon peak and winter seasons, but however any time is the best time. In December it is possible to expect snow to begin.
How do I get there?
The starting point for this trek lies at Dharamkot which is located at about 2 km from Mcleodganj. You can walk to it or hire a cab or an auto from Mcleodganj. To get to Mcleodganj you will need to take an auto to Delhi or Chandigarh according to your location. The airports are all three you can fly into one of which can be found at New Delhi international airport at the distance of 18 kilometers. The third airport you can fly to is Patankot airport, which is close to 100 kilometers. Its Kangra airport can be described as the nearest because it is just 20 kilometers away.
Do you have difficulty walking?
Ideally , this is a straightforward hike, but if you’re traversing through rocks or boulders it can be slippery. It is also a steep hike, so be cautious while hiking. Use appropriate footwear to avoid accident.
The trek takes you to Laka glacier, but you travel through Triund.
The base of the trek is Dharamkot from which you begin your trek to Triund which is about 6 kilometers. The climb is a strenuous one once you get to at the Laka ridge. It is a long and winding route that is full of oak-covered forests. There are many spots near the Triund ridge that you could like to stay since a number of cafes are located nearby. In the evening, stay at Triund by setting up your tents there or staying in the resthouse at Triund. The next day, wake up, eat breakfast, and then start your trek up to Laka Glacier. While you hike up, the slope could be strewn with of snow. When you get to Laka glacier, take an overview of the view and snap photos of you and the view. You will have go back to Triund prior to the end of the day and then camp again there for the final time. The next day, depart to Mcleodganj.
Things to carry
If you’re going on a trip, there are some things you should be sure to carry. This is an overview of all the items you could require.
- A backpack that is well-built will allow you to transport enough food for two days
- Wear clothes that dry quickly in the event they become wet
- Sunglasses, a cap, or hat
- A water bottle is essential because there are many water sources along the trail.
- A torch to light the night.
- Shoes for trekking as there are some steep trails to walk on.
- Mosquito repellents can be utilized during the night, while in tents
- A trekking pole is required.
- Woolen gloves and cap
- Dry snacks
- Medical kit It is the most crucial thing you should carry with you on your journey
Visits after the trek
Some places you could consider visiting after your trek close vicinity include –
- Dharamshala is well-known for its Tibetan tradition and monasteries. There are many other sites in Dharamshala that you could visit such as for instance the Dalai Lama temple, which is very well-known.
- Bagsu waterfall – There’s the temple as well as an impressive waterfall you can visit. The waterfall is located just 1 km from temple.
- Bir bill and Palampur These two hills are worth are worth visiting if you’re near. Bir hill is famous for its paragliding.
The best time to visit Laka glacier and other areas in the vicinity is from March to during the months of June. If you’re in Mcleodganj and are unsure of what to do, take this hike.